When it comes to sexual experiences with a partner, just who should be responsible for bringing the condoms to the party? And who should decide which types of condoms you’re using? As Hollywood would have it, condoms are often portrayed as a man’s responsibility, something a father passes down to his son as part of a coming-of-age ritual. News flash: women and people of all genders enjoy good, safer sex! When do they get a say in the matter?!
One of the many perks to protecting yourself and your partner(s) by using condoms is that anybody can have them on hand just in case the right moment comes along and you’re both feeling in the mood. Your sex life should be pleasurable and comfortable for everyone involved, and each partner should have a say in their personal health care. This includes your choice in condoms.
Not to mention, condoms have come a long way since the first versions that our ancestors used. There are many types of condoms these days, including textured condoms, flavored condoms, custom fit condoms, internal condoms (formerly female condoms) and more. There’s a very good chance that the perfect condom for you and your partner’s pleasure is out there!
We’ll get more into the science and safety a little later, but we thought we’d start with the sexy and sensual fun first. As we mentioned, there are tons of different condom styles designed for your protection and pleasure.
Not sure how to choose what you’re looking for? Well, we strongly recommend testing a few different condoms out to see which feels best for you and your partner(s). Nothing wrong with a little practice to make perfect pleasure. Just in case here are a few details on some of the most popular condoms to guide you on your journey:
- Thin Condoms: These condoms are specially designed for people seeking more sensation and stimulation. They are designed to be extra thin, and offer the same great protection. If this sounds like your cup of tea, you may want to check out the ONE® UltraFeel® Condoms and ONE® Vanish® Hyperthin® Condoms.
- Textured Condoms: Think standard condoms but kicked up a notch with dots, ribs and abstract designs on the exterior side of the condom. This texture can feel fantastic during sex, creating extra friction and sensation for both partners. Interested? You’ll love our ONE® Super Studs™ Condoms and ONE® Tattoo Touch® Condoms.
- Specially-Shaped Condoms: Do you find that condoms are too tight, especially at the tip? These condoms have remixed the standard shape and have a bit more space at the top for people who like a little more room to work. These condoms can also be great for people with foreskin, who are looking for a bit more glide. Check out our ONE® Pleasure Plus® Condoms or ONE® Legend™ XL Condoms.
- Flavored Condoms: If you’ve found yourself craving something sexy and sweet, flavored condoms may be for you. These are great for oral sex, if you want to drive your partner(s) wild. Your tastebuds will delight in the delicious flavors of our ONE® FlavorWaves™ Condoms.The great thing about ONE FlavorWaves are that they are sugar and sweetener free – so you can also use them for vaginal sex.
- Internal Condoms: Want to flip the script on your condom game? Try internal condoms. These condoms can be inserted hours before sexual encounters. These are a great option for people who want to try something different than the standard external condom, and who firmly believe in being ready at a moment’s notice. In addition, the FC2 Internal Condom brand in the U.S. is latex-free, so it’s great for those with latex sensitivities as well.
- Custom Fit Condoms: Are you one of the many people who find that standard-sized condoms just aren’t the right fit for you or your partner(s). Why not customize? With custom-fit condoms like MyONE® Custom Fit™ Condoms, you can select a size that’s tailored to you or your partner(s) on a multidimensional sizing scale. We have 52 different sizing combinations, including sizes snugger and larger than any other brand.
We hope that’s helped inspire you! Don’t forget: it all starts with a conversation. Talk to your partner(s), ask them what they like, what they want to try, what they don’t like. By having an open and honest conversation, you can find condoms that work for everyone and ensure your sex life is as passionate and fiery as can be.
Looking to get a little smoother and silkier? Great news! Latex condoms pair very well with water based, hybrid and silicone based lubricant. Each of these have their own unique perks: water based is light, gentle and easy to clean up, silicone is super smooth and long-lasting, and hybrid offers some of the best of both. Apply as much as you want to take your sexual experience to the next level.
We’ll leave you with this last tidbit: finding your way to a sex life with your partner that involves protection and the pleasure tailor-made for two (or more!) has an added benefit that many don’t think of off the bat. Many partners find themselves feeling closer, more intimate and more trusting because of the security and comfort that comes with knowing you are prioritizing your sexual health and caring for your partner. And we at ONE® think that’s pretty cool.
The long and short of it is (wink), latex condoms can be an easy and enjoyable way to maintain your sexual health and prevent unplanned pregnancy. Quick refresher: condoms are up to 99% effective when used correctly because they operate as a barrier (hence, barrier method) between you and your partner(s). Most sexually transmitted diseases (or sexually transmitted infections) are transmitted through skin to skin contact especially in the genital area or direct contact with bodily fluids like semen, vaginal fluid or blood. Condoms can provide greater protection from STIs like genital warts, chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis or HIV transmission.
And with the barrier method, condoms can also be a great addition to any birth control regimen. When used consistently and correctly, condoms can safely collect any semen from your partner, therefore interfering with implantation and fertilization (required for pregnancy). All this from a product that is safe to use, vigorously tested, doesn’t require a prescription and does not come with any hormonal adjustments.
Lastly, condoms are incredibly versatile! They can be used for any form of penetrative sex from oral sex, to vaginal sex, to anal sex. (Side note: This may not be as relevant and exciting if you and your partner(s) are not having sex like this, and are opting for other activities like mutual masturbation, which do not necessarily require condoms). In fact, ONE® Condoms is the first condom of its kind to be approved by the FDA for use during anal sex! We’re pretty proud of that, by the way.
Ready to take the reins of your sex and ensure that you and your partner(s) have pleasurable and protected experiences? Check out our collection of premium condoms and lubricants on our site! You can also browse some tips and tricks for condom use, and read up on how to start the conversations about condoms. Now, go forth and…pleasure!